return to Rappahannock River Oysters, LLC homepage RRO History
P.O. Box 88
Topping, VA 23169
804-204-1709
info@rroysters.com

Our History

The origins of Rappahannock River Oysters™ can be traced all the way back to 1899. It was in that year that 24-year-old James Arthur Croxton, Jr., purchased five acres of leased river bottom in the Rappahannock River near Bowlers, Virginia. Only hoping to supplement his farm income, J.A. unknowingly kicked off a tradition that has yet to end in the Croxton family.

In 1961, after nearly 30 years of working with his father and his brother James Harmon, William Arthur, Sr., assumed full control of the company and concentrated its efforts in Butylo, Virginia, where RRO still retains some 100-plus acres of leased oyster ground.

Today the company is run by J.A.'s great-grandsons, Travis and Ryan Croxton.


line



 
Rappahannock Oyster Co on Facebook     Rappahannock Oyster Co on Twitter     Rappahannock Oyster Co on Pinterest